Sunday, August 25, 2013

We go back tomorrow...

This is the song stuck in my head!
I might have a few sweet dance moves that go along with it. 


I feel bittersweet about this.  I am looking forward to a new school year! I am however, entirely sad that my summer is drawing to a close. Being the first summer I've had off in years, well, I never quite realized the glory of rest and relaxation. I will miss it!!!

We start the week with a welcome breakfast - the best thing about working with the staff at this school... is our communal meals. We tend to do them fairly frequently, they tend to always be awesome. Often we have a potluck breakfast, sometimes a potluck lunch (on half days). We often do lunches out on PD days (of which we have a plethora), and we probably have a get together at very minimum once monthly. I like it, community is good, and we have fun.

So tomorrow we are to receive our class list and teaching schedule, both of which I am sure will change multiple times before the end of September actually arrives. After a get to know you, I am promised that we will get the rest of the day as 'classroom organization'. I have actually packed a lunch and have full intentions of being super productive. We shall see.

We then have two school based professional development days, which hopefully go smoothly and are semi productive. Followed by two district based professional development, and I can truthfully admit that I am registered for two sessions I am actually excited about.

As a district we are beginning to encompass the strategies and methodologies that are given in the book "Lost at School" by Ross Green. What is called collaborative problem solving "Plan B", is really about working with the kid to help them learn skills that they are missing. I love that I am lucky enough to find employment with a district that is rolling this out wide - I did an entire course based of this strategy and book in University, and it is really the productive and helpful way of strategizing and assisting children who display lagging skill sets.

Then I have part one of a three part workshop on anxiety in the classroom. I had some incredibly anxious children in my room last year, and felt incredibly unprepared to support them as they required. I am hopefully that this PD will at least build my confidence in my abilities to support them.

I am also hopeful that I am set up and prepared for when next Tuesday rolls around! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback!