Tuesday, September 3, 2013

New Students!

Today was to first day back with new students! I was totally prepared so when I walked in to parents and students already in my room.  Well, I was ready to go.... And go I did. 
The day FLEW by, I don't know where the time went. It was hilarious to think I was under planned with the 11 activities I had decided on doing today. When we didn't even get to finish four of them, tomorrow will be better I hope. 

I have a good group of kids this year, a diverse group of learners, but they all seem awesome and keen on getting to know me and one another. They seem to be pretty funny and have a great sense of humour...  I'm hoping tomorrow goes as well, and that the twenty two I had today doesn't magically grow into a bigger number. 

By far the best and most unexpected part of the day was having all my old students who've now moved up to junior high come and seek me out to chat and hug. It was awesome that some interrupted my class to do so, I'm sure it planted positive seeds in my new students heads to see those relationships. 

QOTD: When prompted to describe the qualities they like in a teacher one kid piped up and said, "I like them to be exciting, with a hint of mystery!" While I am not entirely sure what that might look like, I love that description for a teacher.  

I feel like I might be tempted to jump into curriculum right away, but I'm going to make an effort to work through the activities I had planned... Even if they take some time, I need to remember relationships and community building are the vital supports needed for success at school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback!